Sunday, February 27, 2011

What was that, an ancient book? 'YES' I screamed while I frolicked with glee!

Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Wives and Daughters, Little Women, North and South, Anne of Green Gables, Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abby, and .......Rebecca.


Yes, this is a list of classics but also my top 10! I know, I know, your thinking "Nerd Alert!!" and you would be right. The sickness for the Regency era and all things somehow connected runs in my family. I had no way to escape, from birth I was trained to love Victorian sentiments. My mother's, my Aunt's and now my comfort movie that we watch continuously is Pride and Prejudice. I'm not talking about the modern take with Keira Knightly, but the 6 hour BBC version with Collin Firth. Yeah Baby!! (Yes, I'm a nerd. I thought we covered this) In our minds, there's nothing that a shot of Lizzy and Mr. Darcy can't cure.

With that being said, now can you understand why I was so excited when Elisabeth chose Rebecca. And I was not disappointed! I loved the big creepy house with all the reminders of who really was mistress, Rebecca. Its amazing how Rebecca, who isn't literally present, has such a strong personality that develops through the book. One of my all-time favorite quotes is about that presence.

" I could fight with the living but I could not fight the dead. If there was some woman in London that Maxim loved, someone he wrote to, visited, dined with, slept with, I could fight her. We would stand on common ground. I should not be afraid. Anger and jealousy were things that could be conquered. One day the woman would grow old or tired or different, and Maxim would not love her anymore. But Rebecca would never grow old. Rebecca would always be the same. And she and I could not fight. She was to strong for me." pg. 234

How true that our minds can make our memories so sweet, but people in the present are so real and imperfect. How can you fight a memory?

I agree with Elisabeth on the new Mrs. De Winters getting a backbone though. Get some spunk!! Thats why Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice is such a favorite fictional character. She had her faults, but she had spirit! She would not be intimidated. I love a witty woman!

So, as you can see my fellow book babe, Caisse, and I have very differing opinions. Hopefully this will give YOU the 'other side of the coin'. So what's your take on Rebecca?

really old books Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment