Monday, April 4, 2011

The Help Goes Hollywood

Talk about a book that will make you feel guilty for something you didn’t do and prejudices you don’t hold. It is such an eye opening book about attitudes and history that I was completely unaware of. Could this really have been only 40 years ago? In books like this I always wonder who I would have been, Would I have been brave enough to be Skeeter, would I have been the oblivious Mrs. Leefolt, would I have been the horrendous Hilly? I’d like to think I’ be Lou Ann (minus the depression and suicidal tendencies), she wasn’t really brave enough to stand up directly to Hilly, but she did the right thing anyway. One of my favorite bits in the book is a quote about Lou Ann, from Skeeters perspective “There is so much you don’t know about a person. I wonder if I could’ve made her days a little bit easier, if I’d tried. If I’d treated her a little nicer. Wasn’t that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I’d thought. But Lou Anne, she understood the point of the book before she ever read it. The one who was missing the point this time was me”  (p.418)
You should read this book, then.....come August you should see it in the theater.

   
                                       


The Help is another of our picks headed to the Big Screen. Before I started reading this book I purposely did not review who was cast as who, I wanted to draw my own conclusions about the characters and then compare, however I did hear that Emma Stone had been cast as Skeeter. Interestingly enough, I could not picture her, no matter how hard I tried. Sometimes when reading a book I never get a real fix on how I picture a character but Skeeter was extremely distinct in my mind. And I know I’m rambling now, but to clarify, just because I didn’t picture her, doesn’t mean I’m pitching a fit over the choice, I loved Ms. Stone in Easy A and I’m pretty sure she has the right spunk to play Skeeter. Quickly scanning the IMBd page I didn’t see much that seemed glaringly off. Most of the credited cast is unknown to me anyway. I do think Sissy Spacek as Mrs Walters is genius. Have you read the book? Do you think it will pair well with popcorn and summer movie madness? 

No comments:

Post a Comment