Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Little Book's Leading Man

Wheeler Burden is the leading man and main character in this book. While what he did was a little too fantastic (famous musician and writer, baseball legend, and who looks like Michelangelo's David) I was definitely drawn to him. His amazing credentials are only part of the attraction for me, the other part was that he still had a bit of modesty or maybe humility. I love confidence in men (a girl likes to know she can be taken care of) but unpretentious at the same time.

I know, that's hard to find. Generally you get one or the other. So I started brainstorming and came up with a few of my favorite leading men who have that quiet confidence.

Westley from The Princess Bride. This farm boy is the classic unassuming hero.
 The Princess Bride Icon

Noah from The Notebook. Swoon-worthy Noah is confident enough to approach Allie but mild enough to let her go.
best love movie ever

Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird. A wise mild man with the guts to stand up for what he believes.
atticus finch

And to completely contradict myself, I do have to admit that there is a side of me that loves the "gods-gift-to-women man". Who doesn't have a weakness for Han Solo, Rhett Butler, and Mr. Darcy? To summarize, even if the book might not be your favorite, a strong leading man will get you through it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment