Thursday, June 2, 2011

No Binchy For Me

 I know that many, many people love Maeve Binchy, but I am not one of them. Heart and Soul was not my first Binchy book. Believe me, I have tried to love them. Every time someone recommends a Binchy (their "favorite" one) I read it. Unfortunately I have never been a fan.

      Evening Class by Maeve Binchy     Maeve Binchy by Quentins    Book cover
Some of her books that I have read.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad books their just not my cup of tea. I think the main reason is the huge amounts of characters in every book. I enjoy reading from different peoples point of view, for example The Help is that way and I loved that book. With Binchy, I'm am just getting interested in a persons story and it switches...and then you don't hear from them till the end...and this happens with every single character. So by the end of the book, even though it magically all wraps up into a nice neat package, I am left frustrated. Especially if I have to read about some people that I'm not that interested in.

So, would I ever recommend a Maeve Binchy book? No. But I can see why people like them and appreciate how well it's thought out.

I did love Crystal's book club meeting though. It was lively and delicious! Is it possible to go wrong with three types of pasta? With melt-in-your-mouth shortbread? With Irish Coffee? With 6 beautiful, intelligent women? Aaaah, sounds like heaven!


No comments:

Post a Comment