Tuesday, January 25, 2011

THE sad and forsaken ROAD

A favorite conversation between the main characters, man and boy:

"Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever. You might want to think about that."

"You forget some things, don't you?"

"Yes. You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget."


True, right? It has been 2 years and 1 month since I read The Road and I can only remember the things I wish to forget. Please don't confuse my admonition as a plead not to read. This book is simply written but portrays a vivid post-apocalyptic picture. This savage world without boundaries made me wonder: Would mankind, if allowed, turn on each other so cruely? Man and boy's fight for survival and love for one another makes for a moving and powerful story. This is my first Cormac McCarthy book and although I never ran to the bookstore to read his others I did enjoy the writing style of this book. (Just maybe should've read a comedy between Sawtelle and The Road.)

No comments:

Post a Comment