Sunday, February 5, 2012

January


So at the start of the new year when I was filled with ambition I decide that, among other things, I would post my monthly recreational reads.  The thing is, when I tackled all my other resolutions, reading what I should, and attempting to do more of what I should, I realized I didn't have as much time for reading the extra stuff, funny how that works. (I won't lie, I'm pretty sure my addiction to Tiny Tower may also have affected the extracurricular reading as well) So....aside from book club stuff I only read two other books this month, both of them dystopian set YA . 

                                                                              Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Delirium by Lauren Oliver

"It kills you when you have it and when you don't."

The basic premise is, love is a disease. Scientists have found the "cure", and it's not optional. Set in Portland, Maine, Lena is ninety-five days from the "cure" and if you can't see the writing on the wall here, I can't help you. I got sucked in pretty fast, my only issue with this book is that you know where it's going but it sure seems to take a long time getting there. Sometimes I wanted to reach in the book and smack the waffling protagonist. Overall I enjoyed this book enough that while I was reading it I was hooked enough that my house suffered.  I think that's the book rating system I should use, loads of laundry skipped or dishes left in the sink. 

Of course, turns out this book is number one in a trilogy, and optioned by FOX to be a movie. The second book Pandemonium comes out February 28th and there's a short story told from the perspective of Lena's friend Hana, also due out February 28th. I'm in.

Here's the book trailer the author has on her site.


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

So I haven't exhausted all I have to say about this book but I'll spare you all. I re-read this book this month for movie prep and will just add that multiple readings has not dampened my enthusiasm for this series. Instead of beating a dead horse here though, I will simply gift you with the new trailer.


And let me say that I am so excited for this movie and overall love the look of it enough to overlook the obvious movie/book discrepancy with the Mockingjay pin.

What did you read this month?


Andrea




No comments:

Post a Comment