Sunday, May 8, 2011

Caisse's Faux Gumbo

Inspired by our latest book selection, The Sharper the Knife, the Less You Cry, I decided to make Gombo de Paris avec Saucisse, les Crevettes et le Poulet aka Gumbo from Paris, with sausage, shrimp, and chicken (page 100-102).

My version was minus the shrimp and parsley because I just don't like them, minus the complicated roux because, well, it was just too complicated, minus the habaneros because I didn't want it to be too spicy, minus the okra because it was too slimy and discusting and I threw it away, and minus the lemon juice because I forgot to add it at the end....

Here's what it looked like.

In the expert culinary world I would have gotten an F and a, "that's not Gumbo" from the Chef. But taste tester friends said it was very good. I agree and I plan on keeping the recipe and making it again.



Although alot of "Meez Fleen's" Le Cordon Bleu experiences she shared grossed me out and the recipes intimidated me it was inspiration to try new foods.




~Caisse~

1 comment:

  1. As a taste tester of this Faux Gumbo, I was thankful for the lack of habaneros and okra. I have to think that had they been added the Gumbo, however closer to authenticity, would have just tasted too hot and too slimy. And who wants that in a Gumbo, especially the Faux kind. Thanks Caisse for the great dinner.

    ReplyDelete